Saturday, June 16, 2012

"Just a Girl"


Happy Father's Day! We asked Rett Dads to be our guest bloggers for this past week. Just because these girls have Rett Syndrome does not mean they are not still "Daddy's Little Girl" .... times one million! To all the Rett Dads - thank you for your special role in raising these very special girls.

READ POSTS BY THESE GREAT DADS!
Pete Curry, Maisy's dad: "No Laughter? No fun? No thank you."
Bill Hileman, Brynn's dad: "Be Happy No Matter How Large the Obstacle"
Sean Schenk, Kristyn's dad: "I just have to love Kristyn with all my heart."
Bill Farnum, Ella's dad: So Weak So Strong  
David Luntz, Maryjane's dad: "My Little Country Girl"
Roger Brooks, Juliana's dad: All Our Girls Are Special  

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Blog #7: Justin Johnson, Nora's Dad


My daughter has Rett Syndrome. There are many things she is, as a result of Rett Syndrome:

She is unable to say words like you and me.
She is unable to go exactly where she wants.
She is overwhelmed by too much noise, too much light or too many people.
She may always struggle with obstacles that keep her from living a life that our society might call “normal.”

When the world-at-large sees my daughter and people like them, they see the barriers. They see the disability. The handicap.

But I have seen my daughter be an over-comer. I watched her struggle to crawl, struggle to walk and struggle to eat. And I have watched her excel. My daughter loves ice cream, ponies, puppies, princesses and plenty of hugs. She likes to play with kids her age, gets scared and sometimes angry. She can be naughty. She needs to be cuddled, she needs to play and she loves to explore.

Sometimes, I get home from work and she is still napping. I crawl into her bed, give her a squeeze and kiss her cheek. She squints at me from the very, very corner of her eyes. And then she smiles and buries her face in the pillow, waiting for me to tickle her or hug her.

Whatever we face, we'll face together as long as it is within our power. Because we don't see barriers - only milestones. My daughter has Rett Syndrome. But she is just a girl.

-Justin Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment